YOU CAN BOOK A FREE NURSE APPOINTMENT TO ASSESS YOUR PETS’ RISK OF PARASITES AND DISCUSS THE MOST APPROPRIATE TREATMENTS
SHINE THE SPOTLIGHT ON FLEAS
With nearly one in five cats and one in ten dogs having an active flea infestation,* most of us will have seen these parasites at some point. But how much do we really know about fleas? Here we investigate the truth about these parasites to help stop fleas from partying on your pet.
It’s rare for pets to pick up fleas from another pet
Pets actually pick fleas up through flea life stages dropped in the environment. Female fleas lay eggs on untreated animals, including wildlife such as foxes, rabbits and hedgehogs. These eggs fall off wherever the animals go and develop into new fleas that hatch out and jump onto passing pets.
Fleas can cause serious irritation for your pet
They cause severe itching and scratching which can result in hair loss. Flea saliva can also cause an allergic reaction leading to Flea Allergy Dermatitis. And that’s not all – they can also cause anaemia in puppies and kittens and spread diseases such as cat scratch disease and tapeworms.
The fleas on your pet are only part of the problem
In fact, these account for only 5% of the whole flea problem. The other 95% is scattered in the environment – including your home - in the form of different flea life stages. That’s why it’s important to treat all pets in the household. Otherwise the fleas will hatch out and infest the non-treated pets, making the problem continue and worsen. Click on this link for more information on eliminating fleas from you home:
Fleas are a problem, whatever the weather
Fleas thrive in the warmer weather but they live all year round. Central heating makes homes an ideal breeding ground for them in winter. Regular treatment is important to keep your cat or dog properly protected. Here at the practice we can recommend a suitable product that’s right for your pet.
How do I protect my pet from fleas?
For all of these reasons it is essential you treat all of your cats and dogs every month for Fleas. As with most things prevention is better than cure, if you wait until your pet has fleas and they get in your home it can be very difficult to get rid of them. It is now easy to prevent your pet getting fleas with some excellent products available. We can advise you which products are safe and most appropriate for your pet. Cheaper non-prescription flea treatments are often ineffective and can sometimes even be dangerous to your pet.
WAVE GOODBYE TO THE WORRY OF WORMS
How much do you know about worms? To make sure these slippery customers don’t catch you out, we’ve pulled together a quick crib sheet of everything you need to know to keep your pet protected.
What are worms?
Worms are parasites that can affect cats and dogs. There are many different types of worms that can affect dogs and cats, with the most common worms living in the digestive tract and feeding on blood or the food your pet has eaten.
How do pets get infected?
Pets can pick up worms from soil contaminated with eggs, by swallowing fleas, by eating rodents or birds, or even from their mothers – to name just a few ways.
What problems do they cause?
Worms can cause discomfort and distress to your pet. Your pet may not show signs of infestation, but if they do you could see a bloated tummy, lack of energy or even coughing. Heavy infestations can even be deadly.
Can they affect humans?
Unfortunately, yes. Some species of worm also affect humans – causing damage to the liver, lungs or eyes. Children are especially susceptible because they play on the floor or in soil where worm eggs can be found.
How can I protect my pet and family?
Are you worried about lungworm?
Many people are now concerned about lungworm infections in their pet. Although thankfully very rare in this area lungworm is potentially lethal. It is a worm that lives in your pet’s lungs that they can pick up from eating slugs and snails. Because of the potential risk we generally recommend that most dogs are wormed monthly with one of a few specific products that can prevent lungworm. At Brookend we assess the potential risk for your pet and advise the appropriate treatment. Products to prevent lungworm are only available through vets as they prescription only medications.
OUR PET HEALTH CLUB PROVIDES YOUR PET WITH THE BEST PRODUCTS TO PREVENT FLEAS AND WORMS, ALONG WITH ANNUAL VACCINATIONS. IT ALOWS YOU TO SPREAD THE COST WITH A MONTHLY DIRECT DEBIT AND IS DISCOUNTED BY AT LEAST 20%